Ingredients (12 Eclairs)
- 113g Unsalted Butter
- 240ml Water
- 1/4tsp Salt
- 2tsp Caster Sugar
- 128g White Flour
- 4 Eggs
for the egg wash
for the custard
- 500ml Whole Milk
- 1tsp Vanilla Extract
- 6 Egg Yolks
- 134g Caster Sugar
- 30g Cornflour
- 30g Butter
for the chocolate sauce
- 100g Cocoa Powder
- 350g Caster Sugar
- Combine Butter, Water, Salt and Sugar and bring to a rolling boil.
- Remove from heat and add Flour. Stir vigorously with a wooden spoon until combined into a roux-like consistency. Should take 30 seconds ish.
- Return to heat and stir for 1-2 minutes until the dough comes away from the sides of the pan.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time. The dough should be smooth and glossy. The dough should hang onto the whisk and drip off slowly.
- Transfer to a piping bag and pipe onto a baking tray lined with baking paper. Use a large star tip if available. Use a pair of scissors to snip the end off the dough for a better appearance.
- Combine the egg and milk and brush with egg wash.
- Bake at 220C/200C fan for 15 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 190C/170C fan for a further 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- Combine Milk and Vanilla in a saucepan and bring to a simmer, then immediately remove from the heat.
- Whisk together Egg Yolks, Sugar until lighter in colour and smooth.
- Add Cornflour and whisk until smooth.
- SLOWLY pour the hot milk into the egg mixture, whisking constantly.
- Return to the saucepan and heat until thickened, whisking constantly.
- Remove from heat and whisk in Butter.
- Transfer to a bowl and cover with cling film, ensuring the cling film touches the surface of the custard to prevent a skin forming.
- Allow to cool to room temperature, then chill in the fridge overnight.
- Put sugar in a pan with 200ml water and heat until dissolved on a low heat.
- Bring to a boil, add cocoa powder and whisk until smooth.
- Simmer for a minute or two.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- Make three small holes in the bottom of each eclair with a skewer.
- Transfer custard to a piping bag and pipe into the eclairs.
- Dip the top of each eclair into the chocolate sauce.
Eclairs and Custard can be made ahead of time. Assemble the eclair with the cream just before serving for best results.