- 225g Self-Raising Flour or 225g Plain Flour with 3tsp Baking Powder
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 extra tsp Baking Powder
- 55g Chilled Butter, cut into cubes
- 120g Chedder or other Cheese
- 90ml Milk
- Sieve flour into a bowl with the salt and baking powder.
- Mix butter in with fingertips until it turns into breadcrumbs.
- Mix in 90g of the cheese.
- Mix in the milk to form a soft dough. Avoid using your hands here, use a pallet knife as much as possible.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and knead briefly. Very briefly, you're basically just making it come together. 5 'kneads' is plenty.
- Roll out to 2cm thick and cut into rounds with a pastry cutter.
- Place on a baking tray and brush with milk. Top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake at 200C/180C fan for 12-15 minutes.