Spiced Roast Aubergine
- One aubergine (a thin aubergine works best)
- Sesame oil
- Rose Harissa
- Salt and pepper
- Cut the aubergine in half lengthways, and score the inside in a criss-cross pattern. Rub with salt generously and leave for 20-30 minutes to allow the water to drain. Pat aubergine dry with a paper towel.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Coat each half of the aubergine generously with cumin and 1tbsp of sesame oil on each half.
- Fry aubergine, flesh side down, on a medium-high heat for 8 minutes. Avoid adding additional oil to the pan. There is no need to fry the skin side.
- Put the aubergine on a baking tray and bake for 25 minutes, or until all the flesh is very squishy.
- Remove from the oven, remove the skin of the aubergine and mash vigorously in a bowl.
- In the same pan in which you fried the original aubergine, re-fry the mash (there should be no need to add additional oil) and add 1tsp Rose Harissa. If this is unavailable, you can use chili oil, fresh chilis or chili powder. (If using powder, add 1tsp sesame oil to the pan first, and get it hot before you add the aubergine.)
- Add salt and pepper to taste.